The Cadets are almost 30 point underdogs today in Norman Oklahoma. The last time that we beat a Top 5 team was in 1962 with Pete Dawkins. The Sooners own a 2-1 all time record over the Black Knights, including a 14-8 victory in the teams’ last outing in 1961 at Yankee Stadium. Let’s be honest, the odds of winning aren’t good. ESPN only gives us a 1.8% chance of winning. In order to create an upset equivalent to being floated on chicken crispito day, the boys from the banks of the Hudson need a lot to go right. Below is a list of things that need to happen for West Point to get a win today.
5 Step Game Plan:
- Commit No Turnovers – We can’t make things any harder on our defense than they already are. Although our defense is a strength, they aren’t going to be able to bail us out like when we are playing a MAC Team.
- Possess the Ball for over 40:00 Minutes – This goes to the first point. The less that Kyle Murray and the Sooners are on the field the better.
- Score 35 Points – I don’t know how many possessions each team will have, but chances are that Oklahoma can’t score more than 35 if we have the ball for 2/3rd’s of the game.
- Have the Lead Entering the 4th Quarter – We are 20-2 under Jeff Monken when leading after 3 quarters of play.
- Catch a Big Break – Whether it’s an unforced interception/fumble or a trick play that goes our way we definitley need a big break…maybe two or three.
Bonus: One or Fewer Cut Block Penalties, but this isn’t likely to happen.
Beat Oklahoma. Rest.